Mandaly is a city and former royal capital in nothern Myanmar on the Irrawaddy River. In its center is the restored Mandalay Palace from the Konbaung Dynasty, surrounded by a moat. Mandalay Hill provides views of the city from its summit, which is reached by covered stairway. At its foot, the Kuthodaw Pagoda houses hundreds of Buddhist-scripture-inscried marble slabs.
Mandalay Hill is a 240 meters hill that is located to the northeast of the city centre of Mandalay in Myanmar. The city took its name from the hill. Mandalay Hill is know for its abundance of pagodas and monasteries, and has been a major pilgrimage site for Burmese Buddhists for nearly two centuries.
Mahamuni Buddha Temple
Mahamuni Buddha Temple is Buddhist temple and major pligrimage site, located southwest of Mandalay, Myanmar. The Mahamuni Buddha image is deified in this temple, and originally came from Arakan. According to legend, the Gautama Buddha visited Dhayawadi, the capital city of Arakan during his travels on a Proselytization mission to spread Buddhism. During the 26th anniversary of the King at the time, a devout Buddhist, the Buddha accompanied by Shin Ananda and 500 disciples landed at Salagiri moutain peak near Khaukrah town.
The Mahamuni Temple or Pagoda was originally located on A brick paved road which was constructed from the Royal Palace of King Bodawpaya to the eastern gate of the temple, although only remnants of this road can still be seen.
Shwe Nandaw Monastery
Shwenandaw Monastery was build in 1878 by King Thibaw(Thibaw Min), who dismantled and relocated the apartment formerly occupied by his father, King Mindon(Mindon Min), just before Mindon Min's death, at a cost of 120,000 ruprrs.
Thibaw removed the building in 10 October 1878, believing it to be haunteed by his father's sprit. The building reconstruction was finished in 31 Oct 1878, dedicated in memory of his father, on a plot adjoining Atumashi Monastery. It is said that King Thibaw used it for meditation, and the meditation couch he sat on can still be seen.
The building was originally part of the royal palace at Amarapura, before it was moved to Mandalay, where it formed the northern section of the Hmannan(Glass Palace) and part of the king's royal apartments. The building was heavily gilt with gold and adorned with glass mosaic work.
The monastery is know for its teak carvings of Buddhist myths, which adorn its walls and roofs. The monastery is build in the traditional Burmese architectural style. Shwenandaw Monastery is the single remaining major original structure of the original Royal Palace today.